What’s been happening in the podcasting space throughout 2020? To sum it up… a lot. We wanted to break down 20 important statistics that all marketers should know. These stats are crucial for brands to start understanding the power of audio, so if you’re representing a brand and thinking about starting a podcast - this is for you!
- In the US, podcast familiarity has risen to 75% of the total population, up 5% from 2019.
- In the US, podcast listening has risen to 55% of the total population, up 4% from 2019.
- Monthly podcast consumers grew by 16% year-over-year, cresting 100 million Americans for the first time.
- Weekly podcast listening has risen to 24%, up 2% from 2019.
- There are over 1.6 million valid podcasts on Apple Podcasts.
- Spotify has spent over $800 million on podcast related acquisitions.
- In 2020, men listening to podcasts has risen by 3% (currently at 39%) while women listening to podcasts has risen by 7% (currently at 36%).
- The most popular age group for podcast listening is 12-34.
- 66% of podcast listeners have a bachelor’s or higher degree.
- 44% have a household income of 44% or more.
- The average time spent listening to podcasts is 6 hours and 39 minutes.
- Weekly podcast listeners average at listening to about 6 podcasts per week.
- Youtube listening is down to 9% in the US, was sitting at 11% in 2018.
- Comedy, education, and news are the most popular podcasting genres.
- Ad revenue will increase by 14.7% in 2020 despite COVID-19. Prior to COVID-19, it was predicted that podcast ad revenue would grow by 29.6% in 2020.
- DTC brands (22%) and financial services (16%) make up top podcast advertisers.
- 81% of podcast listeners pay attention to podcast ads
- 54% are more likely to consider the brand advertised (only 7% are less likely)
- 72% of people who have listened to a podcast for four or more years have made a purchase
- 60% of podcast listeners have bought something from a podcast ad.
Want to learn more about bringing your podcast to life? Chat with us here.